“I never played for the fame. Once I became a believer, I knew this was a platform God had given me and how I used it would be a reflection of my love for Him.”
Kevin Mawae is a football coach and former professional player who played in the NFL for 16 seasons, most notably with the New York Jets. Mawae played college football at LSU, where he was a first-team All-SEC, and was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the second round of the 1994 NFL Draft. After joining the Jets in 1998, he received six consecutive Pro Bowl selections and five-first All-Pro honors during his eight seasons with the team. Mawae spent his final four seasons as a member of the Tennessee Titans, extending his Pro Bowl selections to eight and his first-team All-Pro honors to seven. He was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2019 and is currently the head coach at Lipscomb Academy.
Dino and Kevin’s friendship started when Kevin and his wife attended a service at Healing Place Church in search of answers. Their spiritual hunger and desire to understand the ways of God in a deeper, more personal way led them to commit their lives to Jesus and live passionately for Him.
Dino and Kevin sit down at Lipscomb Academy and have a wide ranging conversation including:
- Facing doubt in the midst of personal tragedy
- The principle of tithing and how Kevin and his wife learned to give from a place of freedom and faith
- Letting the best version of you shine through and stop trying to be like other people
- Being excellent at what you’re good at and not solely focusing on improving your weaknesses
- How to leave a legacy with the next generation by mentoring them instead of being threatened by them
You’ll also witness a never-been-done-before moment on Unscripted when Dino takes a snap from a Hall of Famer.
Check out the newest episode of Unscripted on Youtube or your preferred podcast platform!